Would Pa Go For A Subprime Mortgage?

If he had Mr. Edwards to talk him into it?

What do you think?

Me, I think Pa wouldn’t go for it. But that young cuss, Almanzo? As drawn to debt as he was? Maybe …

(I love how the writer is so obviously a fan of the books.)

Posted in Charles Ingalls (Pa), Cultural Impact, Laura's Legacy
8 comments on “Would Pa Go For A Subprime Mortgage?
  1. Melanie Beasley says:

Wow, so authentic it made me squirm uncomfortably. Boughten countertops, indeed.

If only we as a nation had the Ingalls’s good sense, judgement, and the willingness to live according to our means.

2. Dennis D. Picard says:

Well, remember “Pa” did work in the pay/finance office for the “rail road.” We all know about the railroads in the 19th century being funded through promissory bonds many of which were held by the government and many were given monopoly powers and given government lands for future distribution/speculation. I wouldn’t believe Pa was a unsophisticated as we’d like to think.

3. Eliza says:

aye caramba. This is sheer awesomeness.

4. Eliza says:

I don’t think that Pa was unsophisticated, I think he recognized how dangerous it was to go into debt under the assumption that you’d always have some means to pay it back and refused to take the risk (most of the time). The original Dave Ramsey.

5. Sarah says:

I laughed out loud at the granite countertops. Loved it.

6. Lauri says:

I think we don’t appreciate how much older and wiser Pa was in THGHY than Almanzo. I was rereading the Big Woods the other day. One of the last chapters was about threshing and the wonderful machine. Pa comments that the cost is far out weighed by the benefits and for him, he will be keeping up with progress. I, also, remember reading that the Ingalls left Burr Oak in the middle of the night to avoid creditors. So I’ll say Pa in De Smet wouldn’t have gone in on a subprime mortgage, however that was due to the lessons he learned since the Pa in Kansas, probably would have.

7. But DIDN’T Pa get the lumber for the Wonderful House by promising to pay when the crops came in?

8. Heidi says:

That has to be one of the funniest pieces I have ever read!

As far as Pa taking financial risks, I don’t think he would have gone that far. He did buy on credit sometimes, but I think that was a standard part of the bartering system back then. (I’ll sell you my goods and you pay me back when your corn crop comes in etc.) I got the impression that in general, Pa didn’t like being in debt.

That being said, I’ll agree with other comments on this blog regarding Pa being a little less of a hero than I recalled as a girl. I still admire him a great deal but I am not sure I would have been as patient as Ma was with his wanderlust and risk-taking! Perhaps in that day and age she had no choice, but it sure would have driven me mad!