What special Laura Ingalls Wilder gift did you get for Christmas?

Laura Ingalls Wilder has long been associated with Christmas. While the series was coming out, many children looked forward to getting the latest book in the series on Christmas morning. That tradition has continued with Laura fans today still getting special Christmas presents from loved ones.

What was the most special or unique Laura Ingalls Wilder gift you ever got for Christmas?

Mine was probably the Christmas after my first trip with my family to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum in Mansfield, Missouri. I had spent a long time in the gift shop, then located in the building that houses the bathrooms in the center of the parking lot, staring at the china shepherdess replicas. Christmas morning  there waiting for me was a china shepherdess. Somehow my mom had managed to get one purchased at the gift shop and in the car without me noticing, kept it out of sight the whole trip home, and didn’t spill a word until Christmas morning. It’s still one of the most special pieces in my collection.

That’s my story, what’s yours?

If you don’t have one yet, what present (that you could actually get – not in a museum or lost to time) would you like to get this year?

Sarah S. Uthoff blogs at TrundleBed Tales; look for her on Twitter and YouTube.

Posted in Holidays, Uncategorized Tagged with: ,
6 comments on “What special Laura Ingalls Wilder gift did you get for Christmas?
  1. Dr Laura says:

A few years back my husband gave me a first edition Sewell Little House in the Big Woods. It isn’t unique but it is special because it was my first first edition Sewell and because he took the time to find it, make sure it was a first edition and then to buy it. I was very touched.

2. Wendy McClure says:

A few Christmases ago, my boyfriend gave me two Bill Anderson edited/compiled books— The Little House Guidebook and Laura’s Album. I hadn’t even known about the latter book, so I was thrilled.

3. Andrea says:

My love for all things Laura began when I was in 2nd grade. Throughout the school year, my teacher read aloud the entire Little House series to my class, explaining things and drawing pictures on the chalkboard as she went. I am now 29 years old and have continued to re-read the entire series every year. I am also still in touch with the teacher who began it all, and she has remained my favorite teacher ever. A few years back, she asked me what my favorite book of the series was. What an impossible question to answer! Unable to pick just one, I had to narrow it down to two….Little Town on the Prairie and These Happy Golden Years. Imagine my surprise when shortly thereafter, I received a package in the mail from her. She had sent me a Christmas present containing the ornaments corresponding with those two books. Each year I hang them on my tree, I think of her and Laura, and I hope to complete my ornament collection in the near future!

When I first discovered the Little House books, I was collecting the books as I saved the money, one at a time. For Christmas that year, I received two of them! Forever, whenever I look at the cover of The Long Winter, it takes me right back to that Christmas.
    Also, several years back I had an order form from Rocky Ridge (this was before the days of online ordering :)) and my husband told me to mark what I might want so he could do some of his Christmas shopping.
    He ordered everything that I chose and some extra. I was thrilled!!

5. Sandra Hume says:

The very first time I read the Little House books, I got them for Christmas. I got half of them then, and then the second half for my birthday a week later.

A few years ago, my husband gifted me with the entire back catalog of Lores from the Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society in De Smet.

6. Deniece Habick says:

I am a HUGE fan of LHOP!! I love everything about it!!