These Happy Golden Years, Chapter 33: Little Gray Home in the West

Guest post by Eddie Higgins

What Would Laura Do?
Well, click the link below to see what Laura would do if she had facebook!

Chapter 33 Little Gray Home in the West

Β

Β

Posted in These Happy Golden Years Tagged with: ,
38 comments on “These Happy Golden Years, Chapter 33: Little Gray Home in the West
  1. naomi says:

Wow …. explains the long wait! (And worth the long wait.)
    But really … any 18 year old FBer would post drunken honeymoon pics. (I guess the fact that her parents are friended means a little more discretion on her part.)

2. MamaHen says:

That was great! Loved it!

3. Kellie says:

That is HILARIOUS!!!!
    I love it.

4. Deanne says:

Great job! And Mr Barclay’s “heroe”!! HAHA!!

5. Rachel Luther says:

Oh my goodness Eddie this was perfect!

6. naomi says:

The post seems to be generating lots of adulation, but not much in the way of discussion.

7. Julie Frances says:

What?!? Laura has a Facebook page before I do? I must be too old-fashioned! Better get myself into the “modern” age! πŸ™‚

Incredible!!!! And yes Julie, Laura does have a Facebook page. It confuses my friends the couple times she’s commented on my posts.

9. Melissa says:

Very creative. I always love to read this chapter so sweet and almost fairy tale like. I think Laura’s comments about being barely able to eat just capture what alot of us feel when we are leaving our parents’ home and striking out on our own.

I think I read somewhere that there was a wedding dance later? And that Almanzo’s parents came to visit that fall?

10. Julie Frances says:

Oh, funny! I’ll have to make Laura Ingalls Wilder a “friend”!

11. Sandra Hume says:

Oh my good God in Heaven. That was so beyond utterly too-too I have no words at all. Eddie, you are BRILLIANT.

12. Laughed so hard I spewed Pepsi on my computer screen! HAD to share!

I’ve gone back and looked at it over and over. It is THAT good! I kept finding things that I missed. The ads on the sidebar, the events, every detail! Eddie, I said it when I shared it on my facebook and I’ll say it again – you are a genius!

14. Jeanette says:

That was too cute!

15. Eddie says:

Thanks everyone! It was a bit of a cheat really, because I found this chapter just too gorgeous to write a meaningful summary – and then when Sue posted her PERFECT summary of Haste to the Wedding I was glad I hadn’t tried! She said it all. I do have a ‘discussion question’ though, and we’ve maybe gone into this already a bit earlier in the readalong, but here is is anyway: when you put down THGY with a sigh – and if you’re as soppy as me, a damp hanky – do you ever wish you’d never read TFFY? I guess this might depend on age and whether TFFY was always the last book rather THGY being the last, and TFFY an unexpected extra some years later (as it was for me). And maybe it’s a question for the TFFY readalong, says she, looking hopefully at Laura Welser :o)

• Melissa says:

I know what you mean. TFFY was the last book in the set I received as a 9 yr old, but knowing what I know now of how it was found later and published after Laura’s death, I see THGY as the end of the childhood series. TFFY is so distant from the rest of the series, understandably so since it deals with adulthood and wasn’t meant to go with the rest of the series.

I’m glad we have it, just like I’m glad we have On the Way Home and Laura’s other writings. Is it hard to read and sad? Yes, but through the earlier books I fell in love with Laura and want to know “the rest of the story.”

16. Rebecca Brammer says:

FABULOUS!!!

17. Sue says:

Eddie, you totally rock. And make me blush. At the same time.

18. Daniel0107 says:

Eddie,
    Wow, what a creative and hilarious post! I loved it! Wish you had been able to come to LP.
    As to your discussion Question: I felt there was a reason laura did not publish TFFY, so THGY is really the last in the LH series for a reason. When she started TFFY, I think she realized it would not be a good book, so left off, no more books. We should, too. No read-a-long for TFFY please!

19. Sonya says:

Funny! Lots of attention to detail! I’m guessing Ma and Soldat du Chene are not friends! I think Ma would be gently reprimanding Carrie for LMAO-ing! Vulgar slang!

I can imagine Pa saying something about people getting too dependent on newfangled technology like trains, kerosene, and social networking computer sites! πŸ˜‰

Yes, TFFY is a tough read compared to the earlier books. You’d like to imagine Laura and Almanzo living happily ever after, not going through hardship after hardship. I read that she planned it to be an adult book which is perhaps why situations weren’t quite as sugarcoated as the earlier novels.

20. Annika says:

LOVE. So much love.

21. Audrey says:

Hilarious! I keep noticing more things that are just such great little attentions to the details from the books and characters. My sister, who is in the same room with me, was giving me weird looks because I was laughing so much while reading this.

22. laura says:

Wonderful stuff!

23. Tinachicky says:

OMG, I’m dying over here, I LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Michelle says:

I don’t know a thing about Facebook & don’t expect to ever become a member, but why, when I scroll down, does it “jump” ahead like that? How do I know I’m not missing any entries when I can’t literally scroll up & down? Drove me nuts! I agree that Mr. Barclay’s “heroe” was a hoot! I must say tho that these entries really are like the Facebook pages I have read (I get to read them in the course of my work), and I don’t know if Eddie was trying to capture the banality of life as depicted by FB but you sure succeeded! What’s the difference between Thackeray and Facebook? One wrote Vanity Fair, one IS Vanity Fair! (courtesy of DH)

25. Sandra Hume says:

Daniel, I think the vote was for continuing through TFFY in the read-along. If enough people have the Farmer Boy Goes West book and want to participate in a read-along for it after TFFY, no reason why we shouldn’t.

26. Speaking of other read-alongs… what about going back to the beginning, too? Big Woods, LHOTP, Plum Creek, Silver Lake… we have much territory to cover! πŸ™‚

And I’m still curious, Eddie, about how you did that! How did you get all those ads, those different characters? Genius! Loved it!

27. Joyce Block says:

Eddie,
    This totally rocks!!!! This shows how alot of conversations go with my neices and cousins when we hit facebook.
    I agree TFFY is to hard for a read along. What about West from home, when Laura goes to see Rose in San Fran?

28. Natalie says:

Brilliant! Im a librarian and have wanted to do something like this but ever fakebook I’ve tried didn’t work. What did you use?

• Eddie says:

Thanks, Natalie, I’m glad you enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun to do. I had a bit of a search on google for some sort of facebook template and like you, couldn’t find anything that suited me – so I actually just made one myself using Word and lots of tables (and some cut-and-paste screen shots for the images, edited in Paint). I don’t know whether this would be of any use for you to adapt for your own projects but if so, you’re welcome to the word document I used, if you’re happy with me having your email address and someone at BLH would be kind enough to send it on to me.

29. Beth S. says:

Wow!!! I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. Amazing detail – I absolutely love it!

30. Di N says:

Brilliant! That always was one of my favourite LIW chapters!!

31. Eileen says:

Eddie, I am laughing so hard that tears are pouring out of my eyes, just as they did at the end of the book! But at least these are tears of laughter! I have to agree with everyone, that was pure genius. And the pictures, my lord, I almost keeled over, with Grace polishing the silver, Eliza Jane disliking the wedding, Almanzo writing that he surely appreciated the gift of the cow, and saying his first dinner was bread and milk to which Laura adds, helpfully, and cake! How did you think to make the whole thing so funny. Bless you.

32. ACCER says:

Absolutely PERFECT Eddie!

33. Emily says:

That was awesome. I can totally picture Laura nervously fiddling with her phone while they wait for the Reverend.

I must say though, Caroline would surely have tasked Laura’s wooden swearing over her use of the word “darn.”