Life, Infused by Little House

This morning, searching for inspiration about positivity, I came across this in a long list of quotes:

“Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open.”
– Rose [Wilder] Lane

I love finding Laura-related messages in the wild. And I particularly love this quote from Rose. What we do matters, now and tomorrow… not just to us, but to everyone we touch.

Last night, my daughter shared the information with us parental Luddites that there is something called “Fakebook” that she can use to make an imitation Facebook page as part of a book report project.

“Oh, you mean something like this?” I said. (Hat-tip to Eddie Higgins for this little piece of brilliance.)

Because she’s not a Little House reader (alas, some things cannot be forced), I opened up the final chapter in These Happy Golden Years for her to read, first, before allowing her to read the web page in its entirety. Her pronouncement: “That is AWESOME.” Indeed.

So many times, as a mom of three trying to finagle ways to make today work while thinking about what the heck I’m going to do about tomorrow, I’m just managing. I don’t want to whip Clarence nor give up on Martha. I just want to manage. And I hear Ma’s voice in my ear helping me along, wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove, saying “Laura” in that magical way that makes her children stop in their tracks. Just as the Ingalls girls have never seen their mother’s ears, I suspect they likewise have never heard her yell.

Does Little House find its way into your everyday life? How?

Posted in Caroline Quiner Ingalls (Ma), Laura's Legacy, These Happy Golden Years
10 comments on “Life, Infused by Little House
  1. bETSY says:

That Fakebook page of Laura’s is awesome! Thanks for sharing it.

I have so many quotes, sayings, and passages from the Little House books and the writings of Laura (and Rose) tucked away in my mind that I often use them without even realizing it… They are such a part of me after a lifetime of reading and living them. 🙂

Today, I met an exec from our Belgium office. He gave me one of his “name cards.” He left before I could get one of mine. I completely thought of Laura and Nellie.

4. TLynn says:

“A body makes his own luck, be it good or bad,” Ma placidly said…
    Laura remembered what Ma had said about luck, and she thought to herself: “I believe we make most of our luck without intending to.”
    These Happy Golden Years, p. 235

5. Emily says:

The fakebook page is hilarious. Thank you!

6. Eddie says:

Well, just at this minute, I most hear Ma saying: “What do you say, Laura?” Thank you, Sandra! I hadn’t checked the website for a few days and am now thoroughly embarrassed.

Does anyone else find with quite a lot of these sayings, they’re so familiar you don’t even know if they have an existence outside Little House? I once tried googling ‘there’s no great loss without some small gain’ to find out where Ma got it from, and you know where it comes from (according to the all-powerful knowledge source of the internet)? Ma Ingalls in the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Teresa, that one about luck is one of the most memorable for me, thank you for quoting it. On a related point, I’m not a mother myself but when dealing with students I often wish for the utterly enviable skill of being quiet… but TERRIBLE.

7. Laura M. says:

Thank you for this, Sandra. Yes, as a mother of small children, I often say to myself, “What would Caroline Ingalls do?” I too strive for “wise as a serpent, but gentle as a dove.” And I still get chills when reading in “The Long Winter” about when Ma was “quiet but terrible” when she forbade Pa from going after that wheat!

8. Lynn Y. says:

Just found this website yesterday and am really enjoying it! One expression that I use that I think I got from the Little House books is “a miss is as good as a mile.” It makes me feel better when either someone in my family or I, have had a close call.

9. Elizabeth Ann says:

One line that resonates with me is when Laura remembers Ma saying, “It takes all kinds of people to make a world”. Laura thinks of this Ma-ism when she is working in town for the Clancy’s, and she spends her lunch hour listening to them scream at each other over the table. How different that must have been for her after coming from the peacefulness of her own home!

Sometimes I like to remember this line when I have to deal with a difficult person or situation. It puts things into perspective.

10. Susan Stanley says:

Not every Caroline Ingalls application is helpful! In conversation with one of my oldest and closest friends, I shared how “less-than” I felt as I struggled with parenting and household chores. I compared myself (VERY unfavorably) with Caroline Ingalls, left alone with three children, another one on the way, and a husband on the other side of the state that she didn’t even know if he had survived the walk back east to find work. My friend was silent for a telling moment, then matter-of-factly told me, “Suze, I think it’s safe to say you’re never standing in a good place mentally once you start comparing yourself to Caroline Ingalls.”
    Just the memory of her saying it still makes me laugh. X D